Research findings wall presented across the business
Responsive Axure prototype of the student application form
Workshops with customer facing teams to gather customer painpoints
Our users in an international student recruitment fair
Product roadmap voting chart
UI sketching sessions with department staff
Research findings presentation
User journey mapping workshop of the Admissions process
Usability testing report
Usability testing sessions with our global B2B clients (Skype & Quicktime)
Introducing a user-centred design process to an international student recruitment business
Product Strategy /
User Research /
Project Lead /
User Experience Design /
Working closely with INTO for over a year I interviewed numerous users and internal departments to understand the business and it’s domain. Sharing my research and the their users’ experiences, I liaised between departments, connecting them and advising on their product strategy and business processes.
INTO helps international students select and apply for courses at 30 universities in the UK, US and China. It’s students come from over 70 countries and it has offices and 3rd party B2B customers in each region. Working on an international client and user-base had it’s challenges however research sessions were successful in highlighting the varying user needs and concerns which were fed into the products so they were usable by their global audience.
I worked on 4 key projects during the contract, following a classic user centred design process to help research users, gather business requirements, generate and validate concepts with the business and users, and usability test live features. I initiated and organised research and discovery phases, worked with senior stakeholders to roadmap products and ideate their features then produced detailed prototypes which I monitored through development as part of their multi-disciplinary Scrum teams.
- Formative research project interviewing 20+ internal staff from our student recruitment department in 15 countries to uncover their needs and assess areas for improvement. We generated and prioritised a product roadmap for the business to work from for the next 5 years.
- Student application form redesign project which improved completion rates by 30% and 50% and focussed heavily on improving the mobile experience. HotJar metrics and competitor analysis helped us in workshops where we rationalised and reduced the form's question-set.
- Designing a B2B university application tracker for our global 3rd party Agents. Researching and mapping the entire admissions process. Working closely with our BA, Product and Salesforce teams to develop our back end systems so we could enable live tracking of student applications. Designing an intuitive interface to simplify the complex process.
- IA project to create and apply taxonomies to 15,000 internal digital assets and improve the usability of their ‘AssetBank’ library.
- Formative research phases interviewing over 50 stakeholders, users and SMEs.
- Analysis and summary of research recordings, identifying themes and insights and feeding them back to departments in the UK and US.
- Survey design and analysis using SurveyMonkey.
- Project canvas sessions
- ‘Crazy 8’ UI sketching sessions
- Gathering customer service department insights
- User journey mapping – auditing existing journeys to understand technical, business and user requirements
- Prototyping using Axure, Sketch and Invision and recording sessions on Quicktime/Skype, Silverback or Lookback (for mobile testing).
- Organisation and moderation of 40+ usability testing sessions:
- Moderated in person with international students in UK universities.
- Moderated via Skype with B2B users in China, India, South America and South East Asia.
- Mobile and desktop sessions.
- Working with and mentoring internal design teams to help establish design pattern libraries.
- Working as part of Agile Scrum teams to support and monitor development of the products we designed.